As of 2015, Verizon no longer requires new customers to sign two-year service contracts. Verizon also charges no activation fees for new accounts.
If you'd like to buy a new phone on a payment plan, Verizon will add a charge for the phone to your monthly bill for two years. Otherwise, you can walk away whenever you like.
The new Verizon phone plan is designed to lure in new customers who might have shied away from the company in the past because of lengthy contracts and early termination fees. Under the new Verizon phone plan, all customers receive unlimited talk time and text messaging.
You'll select your plan according to the monthly data allotment that you'd like. Under the new tiered data system, the Verizon phone plans that you can select are:
The New Verizon Phone Plans:
If you'd like to add extra lines to your account, Verizon charges $20 per smartphone, $10 per tablet or wireless hotspot and $5 for all other connected devices.
Prepaid Verizon Phone Plans
If you already own your phone or don't want to submit to a credit check, Verizon has three prepaid plans that might interest you. One of Verizon's new prepaid plans is actually quite interesting; it is one of the few smartphone plans from a major carrier that doesn't include data. If you want to connect a smartphone to the Verizon network and have no interest in a cellular data plan, Verizon's prepaid data-free smartphone plan may be exactly what you want.
Verizon's prepaid plans are:
All of Verizon's prepaid plans include unlimited talk and text within the United States and unlimited text to Canada and Mexico. The two higher-priced tiers allow you to use your phone as a mobile hotspot, and the 5 GB plan includes unlimited talk to Canada and Mexico.
Under the new contract-free plan structure, Verizon no longer subsidizes the cost of new phones or offers new customers discounts on new phones every two years. If you buy a phone from Verizon, you'll pay the full retail price -- even if you spread the cost out over two years.
Therefore, the best way to save money with Verizon's new phone plans is to bring your own phone. If you don't already own a smartphone, consider buying one immediately after the maker has released a new model. The previous iPhone, for example, always drops in price when Apple releases a new model.
If you're buying in the middle of a product cycle and nothing new is on the horizon, consider buying a certified refurbished phone instead. You'll get a phone that's guaranteed to work like a new one, and you'll pay significantly less than the retail price of a new phone.
Verizon Wireless is one of the best mobile service providers in the world, not only in terms of speed but also in terms of quality and reliability. A powerhouse in the mobile industry for over 10 years, Verizon Wireless has cemented itself as one of the top mobile service providers available. Providing service to over 140 million people worldwide, it's hard not to see why Verizon Wireless is so widespread.
Whether you're looking to make calls locally or overseas, text your friends, or keep in touch with business associates, Verizon Wireless has got you covered. Backed by a high-speed 4G network, even your mobile web browsing will be fast and efficient, which should be exactly what anyone with a smart phone is looking for.
Finally, Verizon Wireless also offers numerous incentives for those looking to set themselves up multiple plans at once which is sure to save you money if you've got a big family. With tons of plans available (as well as a collection of deals and coupons aimed at saving you as much money as possible) Verizon Wireless is sure to have something you'll be interested in, whether you're just now buying your first mobile device, switching over from another provider, or even just switching plans.
Like much of the telecommunications industry, Verizon Wireless is the product of a long string of mergers and acquisitions. First conceived as a cooperative venture between Bell Atlantic and Vodafone Airtouch PLC in 1999, Verizon Wireless had dual ownership in the beginning. Bell Atlantic -- later renamed Verizon Communications after a merger with GTE in 2000 -- owned 55 percent of the company. Vodafone owned the remaining 45 percent. Over the next decade, Verizon Wireless increased its network coverage and subscriber base rapidly by buying smaller wireless carriers throughout the country. From 2000-2009, the companies that Verizon Wireless acquired included Ramcell, West Virginia Wireless, Rural Cellular Corporation and Altel. After more than a decade of expansion, Verizon finally "bought itself" when Verizon Communications purchased Vodafone's share of Verizon Wireless in a deal worth more than $130 billion.